Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Back from OCTOCON!

Well I’m back from a weekend at Octocon(The Irish scifi, fantasy and horror convention which was on in Dublin). The Camden Court Hotel was a new venue this year and the committee have chosen really well. Spacious rooms, nice food and our own bar – what more could you want. Guests I hear you shout. Well we had those too. The wonderful Mike Carey was our Guest of Honour and he regaled us with some readings and anecdotes for the whole weekend. Dave Lally was our Fan Guest of Honour, which meant he had to mingle with everyone – wait a minute - doesn’t he do that every year?? Well done Dave and well deserved.

Michael Carroll was there too, it just wouldn’t be the same without him. Peadar O’Guilin wants a dog monster for next year so I will have to see what I can do and the irrepressible John Vaughan wants ‘His gun spat death’ somewhere in my next novel – guests are so demanding these days. I wonder who I’ll have it spit death at - any suggestions please e-mail me. CE Murphy again brightened our weekend with stories and observations and kept us in line.

Maura McHugh and Rob Curley were there flaunting their Roisin Dubh, and for those who do not read Irish – you’ll have to wait until it comes out to see what it is, though with their talents you won’t be disappointed. Alan "Sancho" Nolan was there also and I was delighted to share a panel with him.

As you can see we had plenty of talent and lots of fun as well. We also had the first ever Golden Blaster (film) Awards – keep your eye on these. If John Vaughan has his way these will be pretty big next year with a surprise GOH.

I must have done something right as I was invited back next year. I really can’t wait. Somehow they have managed to get George R R Martin as GOH :-)

No comments:

Google analytics