Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I'm back in the classroom...

My wife saw that the Irish Writers Centre here in Dublin was running a course on writing historical fiction for one term and persuaded me to sign up. She knew that I had been struggling a little with a new novel (historical horror) and thought it could only help. Well it's been quite some time since I have attended classes (with the exception of professional work related courses) and...I'm really enjoying it. The tutor is a former fellow of the Iowa Writers’ Workshop and the class consists of me and 7 women and I'm getting great feedback on my work from a female perspective. The first draft of my novel is actually finished and this course is providing me with a terrific opportunity of feedback on my story, language, structure and characterisation. I suppose it's similar to joining a writers' group but with the advantage of a tutor with an MFA in Creative Writing. This novel is the first in what will hopefully become a new series for me...

No comments:

Google analytics